This will be easier than you think
If you are thinking about opening a business in the City of Spartanburg, our Business Resource Brochure is an excellent place to start looking for information. It lists commonly requested websites and phone numbers for Federal, State, County, and City departments. You can find it in the “Helpful Documents” section on the right of this page.
The Business License Application and Credit Card Authorization form are also in the “Helpful Documents” section on the right of this page. Applications and payment may be mailed or faxed; we do not have online licensing available at this time. If you would like to file your business license application in person, please visit the Finance Office on the main floor of City Hall in downtown Spartanburg.
If you have questions, please email or call us! We’re happy to help you.
To learn more about our business licensing process, follow the link below
How much is a Business License?
This depends on the type of business activity, rate classification, whether the business is located inside or outside of the City limits, and the business’s gross receipts. The classification list and fee schedules are at the end of the Business License Ordinance. If this is the first time your business has applied for a license in the City of Spartanburg, please call (864) 596-2055 for help in properly classifying your business.
I am a non-resident business and do business at clients' homes/businesses. How do I find out whether or not an address is inside the City limits?
You are welcome to call us or email us any time you are not sure whether a location is inside limits! If you need to find the information right away during non-business hours, you can find this information online at the County Assessor’s site:
- Go to http://qpublic.net/sc/spartanburg/search.html
- Read the Legal Disclaimer and click on “I Agree” at the bottom of the page.
- Enter the street number, street name, and direction of the property address and click the Search button.
- Click on the parcel number.
- If the Millage Group data includes the code letter Z in the code (i.e.7SSZ), then the property is inside the City limits.
We are moving. How do we go about transferring our business license?
Call, email, or write us with the business name as it appears on your license, the old address, your new address, and a phone number in case we have any questions. If you would like an updated copy of your paper license, please request a reprint, and it will be mailed to you.
If a business is moving into or out of Spartanburg City limits, your rate classification and basis for reporting will change. If the business has reorganized or is under new ownership and the Federal Identification Number or Social Security Number associated with the business has changed, you will need to apply for a new license.
Is it possible to get a list of the newest businesses in your city?
Yes, the cost is $40 each time we run a business license activity report. You may choose to control the data included in the report as follows:
- Set the starting and ending dates
- Choose all businesses, renewals only, or new businesses only
- Choose a location address or mailing address
- Choose whether or not to include owner/contact information
- Choose all classifications or a specific classification (i.e. filling stations, restaurants, heating contractors located inside the city limits, etc.) A list of classifications is included at the end of the City's Business License Ordinance.
- Choose a paper copy or scanned .pdf file
What is your mailing address?City of SpartanburgBusiness LicensingPO Drawer 1749Spartanburg, SC 29304
Why does the City charge a business license fee and how long has it done so?
Learn more about the history and necessity of the City's business license tax here.