Have you ever wondered how potholes are repaired, how different departments of municipal government are able to respond so quickly to emergencies, how the City of Spartanburg prepares its budget or decides where to build a new road, a park, or a garage?
The mission of the City of Spartanburg Citizen Academy is to provide the citizens of Spartanburg the opportunity to receive an in depth education about the services and operations provided by the City of Spartanburg. The goal is that the participants will “graduate” with a greater understanding of municipal operations. Participants will learn about the relationship between the citizens, the City Council, its boards & commissions and the City administration. They will also learn how and why projects are undertaken and the manner in which services are provided, as well as receive an overview of the budget planning process, the development review process, and many other responsibilities and functions of City government. Each class will be conducted by City staff.
Goals of the Academy
To educate the public on what their local government does for them.
To improve and increase citizen awareness and interest in local government.
To develop citizen understanding of their role in city government.
To provide an opportunity for citizens to become involved in civic democracy and to see how tax dollars work to improve quality of life for all residents.
To provide an inside look at the operations of the City of Spartanburg.
To help identify issues and areas of concern for citizens to help implement the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
To encourage citizens to become involved in their local government.
To demonstrate what is provided by local property tax.
Structure of the Academy
- Limited to twenty (20) per class.
- Six sessions, approximately 2hours each and a graduation ceremony and reception
- Participants are encouraged to attend at one (1) additional public meeting such as a City Council meeting, Planning meeting or other meeting.
- Classes will be held on Tuesdays from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. beginning Tuesday, August 22, 2017. A light meal will be served 5:15-5:45 pm at each session.
- Dates are as follows:
- Session 1: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 Local Government History & Administrative Functions
- Session 2: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 Management Services
- Session 3: Tuesday, September 5, 2017 Public Services
- Session 4: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 Community Services
- Session 5: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 Development Services
- Session 6: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 Public Safety
- Session 7: Monday, October 9, 2017 Graduation
To obtain maximum benefit from the Citizens Academy, attendance at all sessions is crucial.
- Participants will hear from representatives of all City Departments.
- Upon successful completion of the classes, a certificate of completion will be presented by the Mayor and City Council during a City Council meeting.
- The City of Spartanburg Citizen Academy is free to participants.
- For more information about the City of Spartanburg Citizen’s Academy, please feel free to contact Kathy Hill in the Community Services Department Office at (864) 596.2905 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org