Downtown Spartanburg's ArtCycle Scavenger Hunt
As the first city in South Carolina to earn a bicycle friendly designation from the League of American Bicyclists, the first city in the Southeast with a bike sharing program, and the ArtCycle program bringing loads of cycling themed public art to downtown, it's safe to say that the "hub" in Hub City has taken on an entirely new meaning these days.
And now to add to that mix, Partners for Active Living, in partnership with the City, present the Hub City Hunt, a new cycling-themed scavenger hunt that has participants searching throughout Downtown Spartanburg for 11 unique ArtCycle pieces created by renowned local artist, Hoondirt.
Ready to get started?
Hub City Hunt clues
- There’s something always brewing at our first location, and delicious food is right next door at the kitchen where many burger battles have been won.
- Extra!!! Extra!!! Read all about it… This is where Spartanburg’s stories begin. Across the street, you can grab coffee, baked goods and check out the latest releases.
- At the next stop get the scoop and check out the BIG picture in Spartanburg…. This location will be sure to entice all of your senses from the red B-cycle station to local art.
- Make your way to the center of Spartanburg’s central business district… This square dates back to 1787 and is also the home of a famous general keeping a watchful eye over the city.
- The General’s sword points the way to the top of the square… This next location is not just a place to skate by. You can see someone sing and grab some wings all at the same time.
- For your next clue, head east across the way, and you will see Spartanburg is a HOLE IN ONE that can’t be beat!!! This attraction is sure to be a fun time for the whole family.
- Make your way by hiking up to the next clue… Local is the name of Spartanburg’s game and this location is around the corner from the place to stock up for your next outdoor adventure. Along the way make sure to observe Spartanburg’s finest boutiques.
- Broad is the way, so head past Denny’s Plaza and up the street one block to where knowledge is power… at this location where children meet, Spartanburg’s next generation learns its ABCs and 123s.
- Hang a left and head past Spartanburg’s tallest building. You will see this bike on a street that shares its name with a local college. (This is the furthest point in the hunt, head back down Main Street to hunt some more.)
- Set out back down Main Street and turn right on the street whose name is synonymous with freedom. At this location passengers bus out to all corners of the city and beyond. You’ll know you’ve got it right when Spartanburg’s center for all things cultural appears in the distance.
- This is your last hunt, and we hope you’ve had fun. Take a stroll down Dunbar back the way you came to see what’s just around the corner.
Download a printable version of the Hub City Hunt clues below
Need a map to get you going?
Check out our interactive map below to get you headed in the right direction, and be sure to check out some of our marked points of interest along the way!
About Hub City Hunt
Cody Roberts (aka Hoondirt) is a self-taught artist from Spartanburg, specializing in steel sculptures. He has created sculptures for Facebook, Grammy award-winning artist Jack White, the City of Spartanburg, and commissioned works for private parties.
Roberts has created work to raise money for organizations such as Mobile Meals and Junior League of Spartanburg. In 2013 he was first place for the Artcycle art competition afer being named crowd favorite the previous year. Roberts created 13 bike sculptures around the city to promote Spartanburg as a bike-friendly city.
Briana Bateman, a Spartanburg native, served as an AmeriCorps member for the 2014-2015 term serving with Partners for Active Living and United Way of the Piedmont. During her service, Briana saw the need for an interactive and educational activity for families in our community, something to encourage both local residents and visitors to explore the new vibrancy Downtown Spartanburg has to offer. Hub City Hunt is the culmination of that effort.