- Management Services
- Business Licensing
If you are thinking about opening a business in the City of Spartanburg, this is an excellent place to start looking for information.
Download the Business License Application (PDF) form. Applications and payments may be scanned and emailed, mailed, or paid online. You can also file your application in person, at the Business Licensing Office on the main floor of City Hall, 145 W Broad Street in downtown Spartanburg.
If you have questions, please email or call us! We're happy to help you.
To learn more about our business licensing process, view the business licensing process page.
- How much is a Business License?
This depends on the type of business activity, rate classification, whether the business is located inside or outside of the City limits, and the business's gross receipts. The classification list and fee schedules are at the end of the Business License Ordinance. If this is the first time your business has applied for a license in the City of Spartanburg, please call 864-596-2055 for help in properly classifying your business.
- I am a non-resident business and do business at clients' homes/businesses - how do I find out whether or not an address is inside the City limits?
You are welcome to call us or email us any time you are not sure whether a location is inside limits! If you need to find the information right away during non-business hours, you can find this information online at the County Assessor's site:
- Go to Spartanburg County Assessors page.
- Read the Legal Disclaimer and click on "I Agree" at the bottom of the page.
- Enter the street number, street name, and direction of the property address and click the Search button.
- Click on the parcel number.
- If the Millage Group data includes the code letter Z in the code (i.e.7SSZ), then the property is inside the City limits.
- We are moving - how do we go about transferring our business license?
Call, email, or write us with the business name as it appears on your license, the old address, your new address, and a phone number in case we have any questions. If you would like an updated copy of your paper license, please request a reprint, and it will be mailed to you.
If a business is moving into or out of Spartanburg City limits, your rate classification and basis for reporting will change. If the business has reorganized or is under new ownership and the Federal Identification Number or Social Security Number associated with the business has changed, you will need to apply for a new license.
- What is your mailing address?
City of Spartanburg
PO Drawer 1749
Spartanburg, SC 29304