- Public Safety
- Fire Services
- Smoke Alarm Regulations for Rental Properties
Smoke Alarm Regulations for Rental Properties
SC Section 5-25-1330
Responsibility of owner of dwelling to supply and install smoke detectors in rental dwellings and housing; instructions for operation of detectors; notice of deficiencies in detectors; repair or replacement of detector.
- The owner of a dwelling is responsible for supplying and installing the smoke detectors in rental dwellings and housing and shall provide the tenant at the time the tenant takes possession of the dwelling written or verbal instructions, or both, for testing the detectors and replacing batteries in battery-powered detectors.
- The tenant of a rental dwelling shall notify the owner in writing of any deficiencies in the performance of the smoke detectors. The owner must be considered notified upon delivery of the written notice at the place of the owner through which the rental agreement was made or at any place held out by him as the place of receipt for the payment of rent or other communications.
- Upon written notification by the tenant that a smoke detector is deficient, the owner shall repair or replace the detector within fifteen days. No obligation is created hereby for the owner to replace or repair a detector that he determines upon visual inspection or testing has been deliberately tampered with, damaged, or destroyed by the tenant or any person authorized to reside in the residence by the tenant and notifies the tenant in writing of these findings. The owner may repair or replace a detector that he determines has been deliberately tampered with, damaged, or destroyed by the tenant or any person authorized by the tenant to reside in the residence and may assess against the tenant the actual cost of the repair or replacement of the detector.
- No obligation is created hereby for the owner to provide batteries for battery-powered detectors allowed under Section 5-25-1320.