Fire Department Recruitment
The Spartanburg City Fire Department is always looking for professional, dedicated, and talented individuals to join our team! If you are looking for a career in the fire service look no further than Spartanburg City Fire Department. Fill out our Job Interest Card and receive a notification when we open the hiring process.
- Application Instructions
- Authorization Forms (Paper Applications Only)
You will be asked to provide copies of the following documents:
- Driver's License
- Birth Certificate
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Social Security Card and
- DD214 (If Applicable)
Ride Along Form:
Applicants are eligible for a ride-along! This is an arrangement for a civilian to spend a shift in the passenger seat of a fire truck. Click here to complete a ride-along form. Other documents may be requested after the initial application.
Here are a few sample questions to ask during a ride-along:
- What do you like best or worst about being a firefighter?
- Why did you become a firefighter?
- How is it to work in this community?
Please dress conservatively (casual business attire) during your ride-along.
- 18 Years of Age
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid Driver's License
- United States Citizen
The Recruitment and Hiring Process:
- Written Exam*
- Timed Agility Course* (Based on NFPA 1583)
- Panel Interview*
- Background Investigation and Interviews
- Chief's Interview
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- Medical Evaluation (Based on NFPA 1582)
- Final Job Offer
*ALL COMPLETED ON THE SAME DAY
Applicants Should Have:
- No Felony Convictions
- No Illegal Drug use in the past two years (experimentation with more than two controlled substances will result in permanent rejection)
Be An Honest and moral Citizen!
You must be able to pass our Written Exam and Agility Test, as well as a thorough Background Investigation, Polygraph, Drug Screening, and physical.
The City of Spartanburg is offering very competitive salaries for firefighters.
Annual Starting Pay (as of July 2022):
- Firefighter - $45,000 - $46,193
- Dependent on Qualifications
The City of Spartanburg offers:
- Longevity Pay
- General Leave Accrual
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Dependent Care & Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- City Funded Health Reimbursement Account
- Short Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Programs
- State Police Officer Retirement
- Firemen's Insurance and Inspection Fund (South Carolina State Firefighter's Association Retirement Plan)
- Credit Union
- Paid Job Training & Career Development
- Access to the FREE onsite health clinic
- Uniforms and Equipment furnished by Spartanburg City Fire Department.