All City residents live within one of six City Council districts, each represented by a Council member. Council members serve staggered 4-year terms.
The Mayor, who like the six Council members has one vote on legislative matters and holds no veto power, is elected in a city-wide election, also every four years. Jerome Rice was elected Mayor in November 2021, after serving three terms representing District 5 on Council.
City Council meets the second and fourth Mondays of the month at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall, 145 W Broad St.
Most recent City Council meeting
To view or download videos of earlier Spartanburg City Council meetings, visit the link below.
Council meeting videos
Undertaken once every decade to account for population changes and shifts revealed by each Federal Census, the City's redistricting process will establish boundaries for each of our six City Council districts through the 2031 municipal election cycle.
City Council Redistricting Workshop
Redistricting Benchmark Report
Morgan Square Enhancement Committee
This ad hoc committee was established by Spartanburg City Council on July 25, 2022 to guide a design and public input process for potential physical enhancements to Morgan Square in Downtown Spartanburg in order to meet the changing needs of the City’s residents, business owners, and visitors.
Upon completion of its work, the Morgan Square Enhancement Committee will make recommendations on enhancements to Morgan Square to then be taken up by City Council.
Members of the Morgan Square Enhancement Committee are:
• Committee Chair: Halsey Cook, CEO Milliken & Co.
• Raj Patel, Co-owner Cribbs Restaurant & Main St. Pub
• Betsy Teter, Founder Hub City Press
• Tori James LeRoy, Co-owner Two Doors Down
• Lauren Rogers, City Design Review Board Member
• Jamar Brown, City Planning Commissioner
• Brenda Lee Pryce
• Alex Powell, Johnson Development
• John Bauknight
• William Gray, McMillan Pazdan Smith Architects
• Jack McBride, Founder and Chairman, Contec, Inc.
• Ex Officio: Jerome Rice, Jr., Spartanburg Mayor
• Ex Officio: Manning Lynch, Spartanburg County Council Chair
Below are meeting notices, minutes, and important information regarding the committee and its work.
Meeting Notice – October 26, 2022
Meeting Notice – September 26, 2022
Meeting Notice – September 1, 2022