Property & Maintenance FAQs

Q: What does the City prohibit/what constitutes a Nuisance Violation?

A: The City prohibits the following on residential lots:

  • Construction/demolition debris
  • Inoperable/unregistered vehicles
  • Overgrown weeds and grass
  • Auto parts and scrap metal
  • Appliances/furniture
  • Standing water
  • Junk, debris, trash and litter


Q: What are examples of Housing Violations?

A: All residential properties must be well-maintained, safe and sanitary. Violations that may trigger a property maintenance action include:

  • Peeling paint
  • Deteriorated/damaged roofs
  • Unsanitary facilities
  • Electrical and lighting hazards
  • Unsecured buildings
  • Damaged doors or windows
  • Absence of a heating system or damaged heating system
  • Deteriorated/damaged fences and walls
  • Substandard or inoperable plumbing


Q: What do I do if there is a nuisance property in my neighborhood?

A: There are a number of options available to you:

  • Contact with the property owner or tenant. Describe your perception of the problem. Discuss how the problem affects you and possible solutions.
  • Attend your Neighborhood Association meetings. Get involved with problem solving. If you do not know if you have a Neighborhood Association, call the Community Services Department at 864-596-2052.
  • File a complaint. Call City Property Maintenance Inspections Division at 864-596-2915.


Q: What happens when a violation is reported?

A: Our goal is to encourage both owners and tenants to voluntarily correct any violations. When a violation is reported, we open a complaint and work toward resolving the violation through a process of education, inspection, and notices. In most cases, the person responsible for a violation is given an opportunity to voluntarily comply with the law and correct the situation.


Q: What happens if a violation is not corrected?

A: Each violation has a set of enforcement procedures and time limit for compliance. If the violation is not corrected in the time allowed, the City has two enforcement options:

  • Abatement: In a typical case, the City's Property Maintenance Team will hire a private contractor to either demolish or board and secure a structure, or to clean a property of junk and debris.
  • Judicial Remedies: Failure to correct violations can result in fines of as much as $440 and/or jail time.


Kay Byrnes

Code Enforcement Secretary
(864) 596-2915
contact Contact