Mitch Kennedy was born and raised in Spartanburg. He is a graduate of Spartanburg High School, and he earned a B.A. Degree in Communications from Wake Forest University.
Before joining the City of Spartanburg, Mitch worked as a scouting professional with the Palmetto Council Boy Scouts of America from 1996 to 2005. Prior to the Boy Scouts, Mitch was employed with the Spartanburg Housing Authority and Spartanburg School District 7. Mitch has a son, Micah.
Mitch is actively involved in his community. He currently serves on the following community boards and committees:
- Urban League of the Upstate
- Spartanburg Development Corporation
- Jessie Boyd Elementary School Improvement Council
- Epsilon Nu Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Incorporated
- Rotarian, Downtown Rotary Club
- Mt. Moriah Foundation
- Camp White Pines: AMI Kids
- Spartanburg Housing Development Corporation