Business Licensing Process

Start your business in the City of Spartanburg!

Home-based, Residential Business

If your business operates out of a residential or other non-retail property within the city, you are required to obtain a Home Occupation Permit prior to applying for a Business License.

Qualifying businesses in this category are not required to maintain a state-issued retail license. However, these businesses are urged to check with the South Carolina Secretary of State, Corporations Division at (803) 734-2158 to inquire about use of business names, trademarks, phrases, slogans, etc.

Important forms


Business License ApplicationBusiness License Application

Business License ApplicationHome Occupation Agreement

Businesses with a Storefront

Businesses located within the City of Spartanburg, or businesses that operate within the city limits, are required to purchase an annual business license. However, prior to obtaining a license, businesses operating out of a storefront or other non-residential space must contact our Planning Department to ensure that all applicable zoning, building, signage, fire and safety codes are met, and must have received a final inspection by the City’s Building Inspections Department. Upon completion of all inspections, a certificate of occupancy will be issued, the final step before licensing.

Important Forms

Business License ApplicationBusiness License Application

Business License ApplicationCertificate of Occupancy Application

Building Permits

Any space requiring work before your business can open will require a commercial building permit and certificate of occupancy. Commercial building permits are only issued to state and city licensed contractors. The following steps will typically be handled by your contractor:

  • Submit building renovation plans to the Building Inspections Department. City staff will review the plans, and based on code requirements, will either approve them or request that you make changes. Staff will issue a building permit once all building codes and zoning requirements have been met. 
  • Acquire plumbing, heating, air conditioning and electrical permits if building or renovation plans will require alterations of these systems. These permits can be obtained through Building Inspections.

Depending upon the type of work your space needs prior to opening your business, a number of the applications may need to be completed. For assistance regarding building permits, please visit our Building Inspections page.

Business License ApplicationCommercial Building Application

Business License ApplicationCommercial Building Plan Review

Business License ApplicationCertificate of Occupancy Application

Interior Work

For interior work on your business space, the following applications may need to be completed, depending upon the scope of the work.

Business License ApplicationElectrical Permit Application

Business License ApplicationPlumbing Permit Application

Business License ApplicationMechanical Permit Application

Exterior work

A site plan must be submitted and approved for any exterior work needed for your business space. Depending upon the scope of work required, the following applications may need to be completed.

Business License ApplicationPlan Review Application

Business License ApplicationStreet Cut Permit Application

Business License ApplicationDemolition Permit Application

Fire Alarms & Suppression

Work done to any commercial fire alarm or suppression systems may require one or more of the following forms, depending upon the work scope.

Business License ApplicationFire Alarm Permit Application

Business License ApplicationFire Sprinkler Permit Application

Business License ApplicationFire Suppression Permit Application

Business License ApplicationUnderground Fire Services Main Application

Business Licensing

Johnny Ali

Business License Enforcement Manager
(864) 596-2776
contact Contact

Building Inspections

B.A. (Buddy) Bush

Building Official
(864) 596-2111
contact Contact


Martin Livingston

Neighborhood Services Director
(864) 580-5323
contact Contact

Where to find us

City Business Licensing

All completed city business licenses must be returned to City Hall, 145 W Broad. St.

City Development Services

Completed city building and planning permits must be returned to our Development Services offices, 440 S Church St.